A few months ago I saw a video on YouTube, that showed a woman altering coasters to make the covers for a post-it-note pad. I thought to myself “I could do that”, then promptly forgot all about it.
I was supposed to be making something with teal as the main colour, as that is my daughter's current favourite. However, I couldn't find any paper in my stash that was remotely like teal, so I gave up and used a pinky-red, because it went with the post-it-note papers that I had. I hope my daughter wont mind!
To prepare the coasters, I first peeled off the shiny printed surface, then sanded the remaining paper lightly, to give the glue a key. I also sanded all of the shiny surface off the edges. The coasters are about 9.5 cms square, so I was able to use just one sheet of 8 ins square oriental-patterned paper, cut into quarters, to cover the four surfaces. I did one surface at a time, using watered-down PVA to glue the paper on. I bent the excess paper over the edges, then sanded the excess paper off. When the glue was dry, I dabbed all the edges with a gold Adirondack paint dabber, leaving the surface rough. When this had dried, I stamped the oriental text background stamp onto the front and back outer surfaces, using black Archival ink. I lightly wiped the ink off the paint, so that it left a sort-of ghost image on the gold.
Now it was time to do the binding! This time I was lucky - I only needed six holes, so it wasn't quite as difficult to get the loops looking moderately round.
For the flower on the top, I diecut some shapes out of patterned paper backed with red card, using my Tattered Florals die, and then did some stamping with white Gesso. The result was rather flat, so I painted the edges of the petals with my gold paint dabber. It still looked boring, so I painted the whole of the inside of each flower shape with mica. Much better! To make the stamens, I cut a rough circle of black paper, fringed the edge of it, then twisted each bit of the fringe slightly. I dabbed the edges with gold paint, to tie the black in with the rest of the colour scheme. To shape the flower, I used a sponge mat and a large ball-tool that I bought from the Glitter Girls. I glued all the layers together with Glossy Accents, then added half of an old press-stud in the centre. I had intended to sit the flower on a leaf, but I didn't want to add green to my colour-scheme, and I thought a black or gold leaf would look silly. So I ended up using a flourish - again! I diecut it out of waste mount-board using my Elegant Flourishes die, and had to trim it, as it was too large. I painted it gold and stuck it on with Glossy Accents. Finally, I stuck the flower on with Pinflair Glue Gel.